Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm dreaming of a white Thursday...

How wonderful to see snow falling!  I thought it wasn't supposed to start to later; maybe it will snow all night - here's to hoping.  It is fun to build a fire and  get all cozy again.  As the weather warms, we really haven't been starting a fire every evening.

The timing for snow is good, I hope.  Despite the rocks visible above water, our irrigation run began on Monday.  It was exciting to see the water running through the ditches because I anticipate the fun and delight of the day it is our turn to get water.  Squishing through the mud and watching the water divert around the property is exciting.  Our parched ground will be grateful, and the ground water will hopefully renew our well.  At the same time as that excitement, I felt a knot of anxiety in my belly because the lake is really low to be running water.  I know the ranchers are anxious to have water for their animals and their fields, too, but it can be risky to drain a lake when we don't know when it will refill.  It takes faith to trust that the rains will come this summer and help to replenish our supply. 

So many of the surrounding villages (yes, these towns, cities, or what have you were generally founded as villages back in the day) have already put water restrictions into effect.  I think Maxwell has water brought in and even has to boil water.  So the snow, as little as we may get, is a sign of hope.  And I hope to wake up to a late start...

No comments: