Tuesday, August 21, 2007

transitions

August 31st will be a sad day for me - the last day of work at Metro CareRing. I will begin a new chapter in my life, though my chapter here isn't really ending...just changing. It began last fall when I went to Japan to visit Joyce & Andy. Amy wondered to me when she would get to travel again like that, and I realized what an opportunity and privilege I have to travel and learn first-hand about our global neighbors. My visit to Japan was amazing, and I especially enjoyed a week of work on an apple farm in Nagano-ken. The seed was planted! Months later I enjoyed a week and a half with my new friend Christina on her farm in Monda, Spain last winter, and all the time I had digging in the dirt by myself led me to thinking. Could I be ready for a change? Do I want to farm and travel more than I want the security of my Denver family and a terrific workplace? You know my decision. How difficult it is to initiate such a huge change when life is so great! I sure upset the balance, and it is not easy letting go...however short-term my absence in Denver. I plan to spend most of September in Portland and surrounding areas to be with my family and friends. I planned to play lots of cribbage with my grandpa, but his passing this month means I will get to spend more time with Grandma. I look forward to playing with my three goddaughters: Maddie, Sophie, and Ava. And surely I will have time for Mount Hood! In October I plan to leave for Latin America. With all the change and busy-ness of these days, my plans are still fluctuating. I hope to farm and improve my limited Spanish. I delight at the potential to visit friends in Central America, though I am most excited to meet new ones. In December my boyfriend Erik is coming to meet me for a hike up the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. We will celebrate his 30th in Peru before he brings me home to Denver, so I can be in Portland by Christmas. I look forward to seeing friends when I return to Denver in January. I will be job hunting then, though I joke that skiing may come first! Please come back and read, as I hope to post more as my plans solidify and my journey continues. May peace be yours, and may God bless you richly! tori

No comments: