Sunday, August 22, 2010

A lousy long distance reader...

I was in a "book club" for several years in Denver.  Reading books wasn't really the main point of this club, or Britta probably couldn't have convinced me to join.  But there was typically a book discussed at each gathering, though reading it was not required to come and have a good time.

My spot has already been filled with a local woman who may or may not be as voracious a reader as I was, but I remain on the e-mail list determined to read the books, so long as one of the libraries here has it.  So far I am 0 for 2 on availability.  I do have to say that I have not been slacking on the reading front.  In the last 6 weeks, I have read 8 books...all SW fiction.

My soiree into SW fiction might be nearing to an end.  I really like Rudolfo Anaya's Bless Me, Ultima, Serafina's Stories, and Heart of Aztlan.  Along with a couple books by Fray Chavez and one by Willa Cather, I have enjoyed the history and culture of the stories, really quite rich in this area.  Then I accidentally started reading Sonny Baca's adventures, penned by Anaya, and I think the guy has gone a bit overboard.  The funny thing is Thomas picked up one of the series without knowing I was reading it, and now we have our own mini book club discussions.  Our conclusion is that we cannot recommend the series, though we will both read the fourth book in the series just to avoid being called quitters. 

Last Thursday Thomas had work in Albuquerque, so I went along for the ride.  I picked up some linens and bathroom rugs at the mall, and when I finished, I found a bench outside Sears and read for a few hours until Thomas was finished.  Some guy walking by stopped, lifted up his sunglasses - though it didn't help me to recognize him, and then asked if the book was any good because he'd thought about reading it.  I told him I couldn't recommend it, even though I was determined to finish it.  I turned the book over to see if there was a picture of Anaya on the back cover, and seeing none put in a good word for Anaya's other writing and his passion for the culture that comes out in his writing.  Wouldn't that have been insulting if he actually was Anaya and I told him I wouldn't recommend his books?!?!

The benefit of reading with friends has been the literary recommendations, though I can't say I liked them all.  I wandered through the library and picked up a couple of books with no recommendation except Oprah's, so we'll see what happens.  So far I have read only enough to know it's the midwest on a dairy farm.  More to follow...

No comments: