Friday, December 9, 2011

A World of Hurt

I had the privilege of spending two and a half hours with a couple in town this evening.  It really was a privilege, though the visit turned out to be about five times longer than I anticipated. 

I am a talker, sure.  But I really enjoy listening to other people's stories.  And sometimes it is most important to let someone tell his stories so that they may live on.  The gentleman I visited is a most extraordinary man for making a person feel so comfortable and at home, so important and at ease, and so appreciated.  His health has been troubling the last few months, and there is no telling yet if it is on the decline or turning around.  He came home just a couple of days ago, and only time will tell.  I did not know him or his wife well, and still really don't.  But I am privileged that these "private" people opened their door and let me be a part of their story.  And hopefully I will have plenty more chances to visit.

Something he said made me pause - wondering what lesson God needs him to learn from his suffering.  It gave me pause because he is not one who takes God for granted, but truly tries to live and preach the Gospel in his life.  I suggested that maybe it is not he who is supposed to learn something, but who has something to teach the rest of us.  For me it affirmed the importance of companionship.  So many times I have thought to visit someone or extend friendship in some way, but let my life get too busy to take that time.  I hope I can change that.

It is troubling how my prayer list of people keep gets longer by the day.  There are so many people hurting in so many different ways, needing healing of so many kinds.  This season of Advent is a season of waiting.  And for good news, for recovery, for a sign that all will be well, so many people are waiting and praying.  Waiting for a miracle.  My streak of bad luck this week just seems so insignificant!

So tonight, on my little brother's birthday, I join friends and family in their waiting.  May God be with us!

No comments: