Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fantstic Visit to the Zoo

All our excitement for a trip to the zoo was building and building before I even left for Portland, so I didn't have the heart to warn Miki that I hurt my foot and couldn't do it first thing as planned.  And as much as this ankle still bugs me, I am really glad we had to delay our plans because it meant I got to go with the whole family!  That was a real treat, and it was fun to see Ollie's excitement.

 a pair of bald eagles reminded me of home

Ollie cracked himself up, and the rest of us, by touching the goats' ears through the fence in the "petting zoo" area;  he also got to pet a bunny.

It's been surprisingly dry back there, so animals or no animals, Ollie needed a break to jump in this puddle he found.

 We were lucky for a tip from another visitor that this lady is overly bored with gawkers, but if you have something in your bag she might be curious to see, she'll come right up and watch.  She also liked Ollie's bright red shorts.

Checking out the bears and monkeys, warthogs, eagles and elephants really worked up an appetite for an elephant ear.

 Ollie and I got to see giraffes plus their friends the gazelles and hippos.

The grand finale of the trip was to be the ride on the train.  It was grand and the finale, but we missed it by only a few minutes and had  to wait 40 minutes for the next one.  It couldn't be missed, so we went and checked out the penguins and polar bears, seals and otters.  They proved a good distraction for a kid ready to ride the train.

 Ollie was all smiles when we boarded the train - Teddy was hungry.


 Weaving in and out of the trees on our way to Washington Park, there was plenty to see.

All aboard!

What a trip!  Marty carried an empty backpack until we got off the train.  Ollie's spirits ran high as he ran from animal to animal to train.  It was just too much fun, and I can't wait till we can do it again!

No comments: