Thursday, August 8, 2013

Starting on a Bad Foot

August has blown by in a whirlwind.  I am not ready for September, and yet it feels like it might start tomorrow.  Slow down world - I can't walk that fast!  Yes, because I started the month on a bad foot...I fell.  It hurt.  It made crackly noises that scared me worse than having to tell people I did it putting clean sheets on the bed. 
After a day up and down the scaffolding filling in the ceiling with insulation, after a day of climbing ladders and crouching in the bathroom to finish laying the tile, after a solid day of work on the house, it was "housework" that took me out.  Tom was gracious and tender, putting up with my whimpering.  It was Saturday at 10:30 pm, so I was definitely going to sleep on it.  Sunday morning I planned to go to the hospital after mass in the morning, but after a sleepless night and throbbing in my ankle, I pleaded to go sooner than later.
Again, Tom was patient and gentle with me, fixing up my crutches to keep me off my foot.  The x-rays revealed no breaks or fractures, which meant the crackly noises sounded worse than they were.  Thank God!  It is lousy to hobble, but a relief to know I'll be back on the ladder and scaffolding sooner than later.  (All the same, I'll be gimping through the airport on my trip to and from Portland!)

No comments: