Thursday, September 10, 2015

Favorite Time of Year

I keep hearing references to this being the favorite time of year for my family here - wood getting season!  We had a great first trip up into the mountains to cut firewood last Saturday, though I'll admit that I started the day in a bad mood - we were ready forty minutes before the rest of the crew arrived, and all I could think about was forty more minutes of sleep.

I love the smell of the pine!  And one actually fell into a cedar, and ooh baby - the smell of the cedar!  It is just so much fun to spend the day in the woods.  My brand new leather gloves were coated in pitch, as well as my overalls, my arms, and the ends of braids (not a mistake I made on Sunday with a long shirt and my braids tucked into my hat).

We ached and groused about the aches, but that's expected.  We were looking forward to camping, which didn't pan out, so after the second day, Thomas and I invited everyone over for a campfire.  We had the fixin's for s'mores, so after unloading the truck, Thomas prepared a pile of wood from the burn pile, and I filled the wheel barrow with several loads of rocks to make a fire pit.  I hosed down the chairs, hopeful that the clouds would go away, so the sun could dry the chairs and the fresh mud I made.

We had a lot of fun watching the stars, airplanes, satellites, and even a few shooting stars.  The campfire was mesmerizing...

...but don't be fooled by this soon to be four year-old.  She was more interested in hanging out inside, when the rest of us wanted to be outside.  I giggled coming out of the bathroom to the soft voice calling, "Are you in here?  Girl-Tori?  Girl-Tori - where are you?"

No comments: