Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

No picture today...not of my belly stuffed with yummy food or of my grateful heart. 

I was ready for today.  I cooked pumpkin Tuesday night and made the pies last night.  Yesterday afternoon I made the mashed potato casserole.  I had the whipping cream in the fridge and didn't whip it into shape until it was time for dessert.  This morning, all I had to do was bake the potatoes and make the gravy.  I set the alarm, just so I would have enough time to put the potatoes in, but I didn't need an alarm today.

I am especially grateful for getting about 10 hours of sleep.  I have been feeling really tired really often the past week.  I imagine that the extra early mornings don't help because my body tries to hold out to wait for Thomas to get home from work at 12:30 am.  I never can last that long, but I never get to bed early enough.  Today, I awoke feeling great.

I started my day re-stoking the hot coals left from last night's fire and making myself some tea.  We were getting together at noon, so I didn't want to spoil my appetite by eating breakfast!  I put the potatoes in and got to working on my "compost tea" - a rosemary gravy that actually smells to me like liquid stuffing.  It is essentially vegetable broth with herbs, carrots, onions, and celery...kind of like stuffing.  It is a favorite recipe for me, as gravy is usually made with meat - not for me!

Everything went mostly according to plan.  My only hiccup was running out of propane for the stove!  I turned the front burner on for the gravy, and it wouldn't light.  When I opened the oven, it was just warm.  Who knows when it went out, but I threw on my shoes and went out to open the nozzle on our spare tank.  (We have a little one and a big one hooked up - only the stove runs on gas.  We will have to take it to town to fill 'er up!)  Everything was once again right with my day when that was fixed.

It is hard to call it a Thanksgiving dinner so early in the day, especially when it was the first meal of the day for many of us.  Everything was delicious...Marie's stuffing, Julie's sweet potatoes, Alice's green beans, Marie's rolls, and potatoes and gravy to fill up the plate.  I am still full nearly 7 hours later.  I waited on pumpkin pie and whipped cream until about 4:30 - 5 ish because I just didn't have room earlier.  My digestion may have been interrupted by some running around in the front yard.  We had an amusing game of two-on-two soccer, which was a lot of fun, though my tummy kept telling me it was too full for me to be running around.  Sadly, Thomas had to leave for work in the afternoon, but I was grateful for the interruption in our play, so I could go home with him to send him off.

I am feeling pretty pooped all over again.  Thankfully, I can sleep in with my husband tomorrow!

No comments: