Monday, February 4, 2008

Fantastic news!

This morning I struggled to get out of bed. I timed it just right, though, so that I could walk to "work": I volunteered at the front desk at Metro CareRing this morning. I arrived on time, and many familiar faces greeted me. It was fun to see some volunteers whom I haven't seen since August or September. Wow! There are many changes, and for me it is fun to introduce myself as a volunteer. I could still pass my days of unemployment unpacking my boxes in the basement, but I would rather not. By the time I began my walk home, the snow had begun to fall. It was light and airy and chilly. I plotted my afternoon of lunch and phone calls. There was a deadline for a job today, and I was really unsure of how to proceed. I didn't want it for more than the income. Last week I was debating what to do about a couple upcoming deadlines, so I thought I would call Denver Urban Gardens to see if they foresaw any openings that I might like. Before I could, the director of DUG called me. We scheduled an interview for Thursday after I volunteered at the desk at Metro CareRing. Wouldn't you know, it snowed the night before, and traffic was a mess. I borrowed Erik's truck for the interview, so I was sliding around in the muck, wishing I would have picked a dry day for driving. Despite the weather I felt like I nailed the interview. I was so excited. I picked Erik up from work, and we headed down the block for happy hour to celebrate that he got into Naked Coffee (an improv/comedy group Mary began last year) and that he passed Colorado's test for teaching certification (already certified in Montana). The next day, Friday, I skied with Oren and skied right through one job deadline. I assumed I might hear from DUG mid-week because there was another interview today. But I was finishing lunch when Michael called and offered me a position!!! I have a job, and better yet, I am going to work for a great organization that I think is fantastic and that will let me serve low income communities and garden! I was jumping up and down shaking my arms and hooting with joy. Nobody was home, of course, so I had to start making phone calls. I start next Monday, though I already have some trips planned for this month. Now I just need to find a car and a bike, settle my lawsuit from the bike accident, and file my taxes. Oh...I forgot, I still need to unpack.

2 comments:

Lee said...

Tori, congratulations on having a new job that you are totally excited about!! Yay! xox

Amy said...

Hooray for you, Tori! I can't wait to hear more about your new position. Hopefully, you'll build a few muscles so in a few years, you can pull your weight on my farm!

:)