Monday, February 11, 2008

My First Day!

Wow - a lot has happened in a week. After accepting the job Monday, I went to Metro CareRing Tuesday to talk to Vicki about volunteering for Metro CareRing for the marathon. Wednesday, after getting my ashes and working on a difficult black and white puzzle, I walked to Metro CareRing for a date with Minerva. Thursday I walked to Metro CareRing to volunteer at the front desk before a lovely reunion lunch with Jenny at Watercourse (delicious....hmmm). And Friday I stayed home, so I could log a bunch of hours on marathon stuff for Metro CareRing. Gee - a lot of Metro CareRing in my system! But it will be a while before I can do that again because I started at Denver Urban Gardens today!! Lisa, my predecessor, is headed to Italy for grad school to study sustainability. I am a bit jealous, but then I got her job. She leaves in March, and gratefully I have her to help me with the transition. But I know it must be difficult for her to leave, too, as I remember how difficult it was for me to leave. Today I got to read over the 120+ pages of grant and reports Lisa turned in today to the LiveWell Foundation, an off-shoot of Kaiser Permanente, who is funding my position and the community initiatives I will be coordinating. Lisa has done a ton, and I hope I can juggle as well as she has. The staff is great. The office is in a loft at the end of the row, at the edge of the road (next to the train tracks). My windows look out on the mountains. I suppose for putting up with a window-less office for a few years, I may be getting what I deserve (I hope), though I never complained about my lovely petite closet at Metro CareRing, just ask Jon. It was well-decorated and quite homey for so long. The trade-off for the natural light and views is that there is only one private space in the office...the bathroom. So don't call me during the day with personal questions! I had a great first day, and tomorrow I am going back to do it all over again! Awesome!

No comments: