Saturday, April 5, 2008

Reunion week continues...

I biked to work again on Friday - this time in honor of momma's birthday, maybe? My second route was not much better than Wednesday's. Still left a little something to be desired, specifically a cushioned seat! Though Thursday Jessica and I failed to get out of the office to do some planning, we renewed our efforts to leave a little earlier and sit somewhere in the sun and do some planning. The sun was so beautiful on Friday that we sat outside for lunch. We also watched the parking lot fill up for opening day at Coors Field. The Rockies didn't win, but I could tell their popularity was still soaring from the World Series stuff last fall. The parking lot was packed! Early! As we thought about taking off, Laura invited us down to compost and take out the recycling. Alas...someday we'll make it. Getting things tidied up for the weekend is nice, too. Jess and I still made time for a few minutes over our door and the grid of garden initiatives we are tackling. We divvied most of it before we split. Sadly, we split a second too late. The Rockies were losing, and the fans were losing interest. The parking lot was clearing out, and both of us had to pass by that way. Lucky for me, on my bike I could scoot past the stand-still traffic. Jess was not as lucky, and despite a ten+ minute head start, I whizzed past her as the lanes merged and street closed. I had a heavy pack on my back for my ride up to Nikki's house. I had to walk my bike over one stretch of the bike path because it also doubles as the sidewalk for the baseball fans. Boy was I hot and sweaty when I got to her house - just the way you want to feel as you head to the store for drinks and a few snacks...gross! So while my family was having dinner in Portland to celebrate Mom's birthday, I was celebrating with Nikki and friends in Denver. They had thirty people for dinner, and we had thirty people for party. I made people-puppy-chow, a treat I remember my uncle Pat making. As we dashed through the store grabbing everything, I beelined for the self-checkout lines. Lo and behold, my buddy Ben, who was an original member of the P.S.P.S.. I hadn't seen him in ages, and he vacated the checkout lane right before us. What a hoot! The reunions continued - Jen and Josh; Jimberg; Greg; Becky, Lenny, Chase, and Ethan. It had been at least 8 months since I had seen all of them. What fun!! And gratefully Nikki was letting me sleepover, so I didn't have to bike home really late. This morning I got up when Nikki did, but I went to the bathroom and back to bed. She went to the store to get food for breakfast. I didn't get up until about 10 am. After two and a half hours of cleaning up, eating, and talking, we laid on the couches for a nap. While I had trouble falling to sleep, I also had trouble waking up. Nikki had a two hour run to get in before the sun set, and I wanted to get home and shower before church. Such a lazy day did not inspire me to be any more active than that, though I did bike to church and back, too. Tomorrow is a ski day, so I don't need to worry too much about being lazy tonight.

No comments: