Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Where everybody knows your name...

I did not go out to drink tonight. That was last night. Tonight I was determined to accomplish everything I didn't do last night after work, plus I wanted to see my friendly first-Tuesday volunteers at Metro CareRing. I got a call last month from one of them, and I wanted to return the call with a visit. My plans were to bike to work, stop at the bank to deposit my paycheck, buy tickets for Bob Schneider for tomorrow night, and stop by Metro CareRing to visit with the volunteers...all by 7:00 pm, at which time a "business" dinner with my housemates was slated to start. The weather didn't cooperate, so I didn't bike. My list of to-do's was along a bus route/transfer between work and home, so I hoped to manage. I hopped on the bus, twenty minutes later than I hoped, but that happens at work. I hopped off a block from the bank, five minutes before they closed. I quickly cut my phone call short to do my business and let the bank close. I saw one of the volunteers waiting at my bus stop, one block from the bank. The bus came right away, and we started chatting right away. We walked to Metro CareRing and continued the conversation with the other volunteers. It was great to see everyone, though I knew it would be harder to pull myself away than I thought. In time I had to go, so I hoofed it to the Ogden Theatre to buy tickets. Walking passed the long line of people waiting to get in, I was relieved nobody was at the ticket window, so i got my tickets and scooted across the street. It wasn't long before the bus pulled up and away I went. I was two minutes late for dinner, but it wasn't ready anyway. What a day to leave me smiling!! Though it was April Fools, there weren't any pranks in my world...I did tell a co-worker I fell out of bed, and she believed me, and then I smirked, "April Fools." Not really anything for the record books.

No comments: