Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Grand Sight

From Kingman, Arizona there is only one place to go.  We arrived at Williams, but we didn't know what time it was.  We had been listening to NPR out of Vegas, and we also know that Arizona doesn't do the whole time change thing, so we weren't sure what time it was.  We knew it was breakfast time, so we picked a cafe (my choice, and a bad one!).  Thomas looked at the clock on the wall, and it said 10:30 am.  The clock by the kitchen said 9:30 am.  Hmmm....not helpful.  The waitress was a little confused by it, too, as she told us they don't change the time - so why would they not be the same?  Supposedly the one by the kitchen needed a battery.  

Okay - the only place you go from Kingman is THE GRAND CANYON!!!  It was my first time, and I snapped a lot of pictures!  And talk about foreigners - there were all stripes admiring the work of billions of years.  Thomas led me "blindfolded" to the stairs that walked down to the rim, and then I looked up from the brim of my hat and just let my jaw go slack.  Wow!!


We started walking west along the rim and passed the obvious sections of hordes of cameras to find a quieter spot.  Is it possible to get a bad backdrop?




This flag outside the Kolb Studio caught my eye - patriotic as I am.  The exhibit in the studio was about the Kolb brothers and their shenanigans in the canyon.  "Peanut vendors," as Tom would say!  We harumphed about how rigid and regimented tourism is nowadays, and that one hundred years ago, Tom and his crew from high school very likely would have been the daredevils of the canyon.  God bless America and all the rules...

There was a lot of snow on the south rim, and in spots the trail was icy and packed snow.  Thomas had no fear to get up to the edge, though I was a little more nervous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for not pushing him over the edge!