Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Yeah Hooray!

I am not a New Year's Resolution type.  Yet I find myself secretly proud of myself for accomplishing something I decided I should do in 2012.  Not sure how to classify it, but proud all the same, and I am going to shamelessly pat myself on the back for it because it's really not a big deal to anyone else.

My mom found out the day we arrived in Portland for Christmas vacation that she had breast cancer.  I use past tense, optimistically, because she had a mastectomy on Thursday of last week.  Really - a dramatic two weeks for her.  It shocked me and scared me, but most of all reminded me that I haven't been to a doctor for anything but trauma and drama since 2002-ish.  That's a long time!  I wasn't an athlete and didn't have a commercial driver's license, so I had no need for regular physicals of any kind.  And while I like to think I have had more than enough doctor's appointments, surgeries, and physical therapy to last a lifetime, I know that "wellness visits" can be a positive thing.

Today was my appointment with a nurse practitioner recommended by my sister-in-law.  It was a good appointment, except for forgetting to ask about a tetanus shot (better to get the preventative shot than need an emergency room visit!).  I also have set the balls in motion for some baseline testing, considering the health risks I have inherited from my parents.  It feels good to have been able to do this.  And my NP is really awesome.  (Thanks, Marie, for a good recommendation.)

And now, post my momma's surgery, I am surprised.  Sure I was scared, but I should think my momma would be even more scared.  And though I know I was praying for her among of chorus of other friends and family and family of friends and friends of family....she's touched a lot of lives, her every response has been an attitude of gratitude!  What an example of faith and a thankful heart!

ps - my other resolution-ish thing has been to walk more.  I have already gotten in 3 - 1 hour long walks and a 20 minute one in.  Not bad for the winter!

pps - yeah - the sunsets and full moon have been amazingly beautiful!  And the reflection of the colors in the melting snow was just wild!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Lots of prayers for your mom's recovery and many cancer free years to come!
paul's mom was diagnosed in spring 2010 and thankfully has been well since then.
congrats also, on taking steps toward preventative care yourself...
reminds me that i don't have a primary care physician at the moment... :P
love ya,
the secret weapon

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear it went well. She takes good care of us Salas'