Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Cheesy "Holiday" Card

I almost turned back for my camera as I headed to the car this morning.  I was first out of bed, so I turned on the cars to warm them up this morning.  After a lot of rain last night, the temperature dropped, leaving the cars covered with snow and the ground very soggy.  Officially the first snow, but sadly not our first snow day.  Wouldn't that have been a treat!?!?

Somewhere west of the polo ranch the landscape turned to white.  The bushes looked like nonpareils with dots of snow all over them.  I kept waiting for big red bubble letters to appear on the hillside reading "Seasons Greetings".  Still two weeks to Halloween, but it looked like a white Christmas outside.  The sun was shining over the horizon, and everything looked so happy and dappled in snow. 

Then about halfway to work it looked like the ice queen's domain from the Chronicles of Narnia - a bitter gray blue cloud mass that blocked out the sun.  It was snowing, and the road was a bit slushy, not just puddle-ly.  In the car I didn't feel it, but it looked colder.  I could also see from some of the higher vantages the yellow of dried fields to the east.

The snow thickened on the sides of the road the further north I drove, even as the falling snow tapered off.  A brotherhood of cows nose to tail followed the powder-coated barbed wire to unseen pastures, hoping to see some green, no doubt.  Through the tree-lined section of highway, the road was littered with yellow leaves still attached to branches too weak to hold up the snow.  A snow plow rumbling south splattered my windshield with slush. 

And now, the sun shining, the scenery dripping, each leaf a leaky faucet, each roof a softening avalanche waiting to slide.  Thanks, God, for the moisture!

No comments: