Thursday, March 6, 2014

Fight, Fight!

The familiar schoolyard chant is only familiar to me from movies and television shows, but I feel like it would be appropriate now.  Or is it just a game?

I got to work and sat down at my computer.  And I happened to look up and see a deer bounding off behind the neighbor's property.  Then another, and another.  I watched to see what was chasing them, but then one took off back toward the direction it came from.  And another.  The chase was on, as a buck pursued a doe.  They ran in a circle around a garage.  Then another buck and doe were chasing.  Then one buck was chasing the other buck.  This carried on for several minutes.

Unless they locked horns behind the house where I cannot see, it seemed they ended their sport amicably.  They're now back out in the open and four does are sticking close together.  One buck is sticking a little closer to them, while the second seems to be tagging along behind, but the bucks seems fairly equally matched in size and rack.  They're moving along down the road - lessons learned?

They're back this afternoon!  I came back from a meeting out of the office to find the whole gang of them lounging outside my window.  It appears the doe I thought was being chased was probably the spike.  His little antlers make him look devilish.

This Lent, I am trying to slow down a little.  Maybe this is my reward for noticing today.  What a wonderful creation! 

No comments: