Monday, September 22, 2014

Rolling with the Punches

It's said that the only true constant is change...maybe so...my plans don't always last for too long.

I didn't get out to the house to work this morning, but that's okay.  I know it's Monday, a paid-job work day, but school is back in session, along with my late Mondays.  So I figured I would get a coat of wax down on the mudroom floor in the morning, so when Tom gets home tonight, he could apply a second layer.  At least that was the plan at six last night when we called it quits for the weekend.  I also planned to take pictures to add to a post, but that was the "original" plan.  

We had an overly productive weekend - a trip to Albuquerque for work on Friday meant that we resupplied at Costco, got a bunch of things for the house - including a new lawn mower for Tom, and picked up a pump for Pop.  We cruised in just shy of ten at night, unloaded, and crashed.  Saturday we got busy: Tom worked on waxing the guest bath floor, mowed the weeds, started grouting the tub tile, and I installed our "closet system". After lunch Tom kept up with his projects and I started laying linoleum tile in the mud porch.  Work, work, work until almost seven - all the whole tile pieces were glued down, and my hands, legs, and feet stuck to everything.  Sunday, Tom cut tile for me for the edges in the mud porch, Pop brought the tractor over to help Tom attach the mud porch to the house, I finished the floor and some major clean-up, and Tom finished grouting the tile - plus he got the fixtures installed for the bathroom!  Boy are we getting CLOSE!!!!

So last night we were winding down - bellies full of pizza and peaches'n'ice cream. Both showered and ready for bed, we were less than an hour or two from deep sleep.  Then Tom's work phone rang, and the night melted into a wet mess.  We delivered sandbags to Cimarron, where a heavy storm in the hills and town were causing flooding.  After dropping off a bundle of bags, we headed to Raton for more.  In the rain it seemed all our movements were blurred and slow, but by the grace of God, we made it there and back and eventually home without incident.  Right away we hit major water across the highway just west of Miami Lake, and I hope I can take pictures tomorrow of the barbed wire fence full of debris where the water flooded over.  Around Cimarron there are more signs of water in places it usually isn't.  The community really came together and helped each other, though I wondered how many people in town slept through it and didn't even know what was happening out in the dark, wet night. 

So after getting home at 3:20 am - plans changed.  I didn't get the floor waxed.  So what?  The yard was too muddy to go out and take pictures, so those will just have to wait.  Big deal!  It's felt like five o'clock all day...and now it finally is.  Hopefully my plans to go home in a couple hours and go to bed early won't change!

No comments: