Monday, March 31, 2008

spontaneous fun...

Johnson would hate to know I am writing about him, but what a joy! He let me know he got off work tonight ans was up for anything...me, too! Though yesterday was cold and sunny, this morning was snowy in the morning and rainy in the afternoon. Nothing like raining on my parade - what was to be my first day biking to work on my new bicycle! I didn't chance it, and Jennifer graciously offered me a ride in the morning. As I was catching the #15 from downtown, I called Johnson to let him know I was interested in meeting up. Happy hour at the 'cho's was exactly that: a happy hour (and a half) of talking about work, home, family, relationships, life pleasures, and socio-political stuff. I don't think it is my fault, but whenever we are in the throes of a great dialogue about something, someone close by butts in to challenge Johnson. Poor guy would really prefer not to argue with strangers; he has enough fun when we argue a point. Anyway, our discussion around literature, modern writing styles, and the dumbing down of the general public was a hot topic for someone on a bar stool not too far from us. Needless to say, we split. We carried on out way to Steubens for some dinner and further discussion about the education system and the changing times. We walked part-way home together and then wandered off in our own direction - a cold clear night. And to my surprise, I saw a shooting star - on Colfax even! Since my return from traveling, I feel myself disinterested in television. I love movies and am not interested in swearing it off. But there is a part that wonders what purpose most programing serves. Is it really relaxing? Does it sedate our body from the stress of work? Or is it the subliminal messaging that keeps the American dream, the American mainstream culture, alive and thriving? Consumerism runs rampant; styles go out of fashion faster than the weather patterns; and our disposable culture finds newer, faster, and better products to replace the old before they even wear out, which isn't as long as it used to be. In the mail I got another book to read from Amy, decorated with love by her girls. While it may be a diversion from flipping through channels of reality tv and dreary news, I hope that somehow I am making the right decision! If only I could have a beer and a philosophical discussion every night! loveyoumeanit

No comments: