Friday, November 7, 2008

Helmets!!!!

I am a big fan of helmets - not helmet hair, but the safety accessory for your head. I now own three. A friend joked that if you're lucky, you only get one brain in life. So why wouldn't you protect it? Of course I own a bike helmet. I bought a new one after my accident long before I even bought a new bike.

When my first ski season post-accident came around a year and a half later, I went out and bought a helmet - powder blue. Some say people do more reckless things when they're wearing a helmet because of a notion that the helmet will keep them safer. I didn't get it to start playing in the terrain park, but as in biking, helmets protect my noggin from other people. It's a little banged up, but will have to sit on the shelf this year as I sit out another ski season (boo hoo!).

My newest helmet - pictures to come shortly, I hope - is a motorcycle helmet!!! Tom got me a stand-in for my birthday, so I could start riding with him. It wasn't "the" one, but was my first. We've checked out helmets here and there. I want a brown and orange one, which isn't a likely find, so he got some paint and started planning a design. Then the fun began. Saturday we found a used helmet in sparkly blue with some airbrushed streaks. Tom loved the paint job, but the helmet fit me. He hated the thought of painting over it, so when we found - get this - a SPARKLY ORANGE MOTORCYCLE HELMET, he considered it an act of God to save the blue helmet from being painted over. All in a day, we bought this orange helmet, Tom polished it up, and then he added his artistic touch with some coppery brown zig-zags (think ZZ Top) that wrap around the sides. It's way cool! And he resized the liner of the blue helmet, so we will be sparkly together!

I know...rididuclous! It's the little things that make me smile. I'm sure my little brother won't even be excited for me. Alas...

No comments: