Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thankful for Thanksgiving Pt III - Franti

Oh my goodness!!  What a caper to a great Thanksgiving Break!  I purchased two tickets each for both nights of Michael Franti and Spearhead's Harvest Ball.  Jennifer and I dodged wet snowflakes as we hurried over to the Fillmore Friday night.  This was my first concert sans crutches....and it has been a while.  My physical therapist forbade me from jumping and doubted I could make it two nights.  Well - I did not jump Friday night.  I danced and danced and danced some more.  I bumped into Nikki's friend Greg, and it was fun to catch up with him before it all started.  This guy Mike Relm opened with a really awesome video/musical performance of spinning records and audio/video feed.  Then for the next two and a half hours straight, Spearhead rocked the Fillmore!  Almost all the songs were from Yell Fire or All Rebel Rockers; the ones that weren't were Peter Tosh's, the Beatles', or Gerry's (Long Distance Runner).  Jennifer and I were pretty close to the stage, and the energy was amazing!  After the show he stepped down to the floor.  I made my way up and got to squeeze his hand - wow!  I was so thrilled with the night. 
 
After slushing our way back to JD's apartment, we ate pumpkin empenadas, re-hydrated, and said good night.  I didn't want to deal with snow in the morning, since it was still just wet.  Saturday I slept so late!  Mary woke me up to tell me she had gotten a ticket.  She and Tom came over before the show, and we all went to church before grabbing a bite and heading over.  Tom and I stuffed ourselves for the second time in the week.  We found spots on the floor, and unfortunately none of us were impressed with the "rappers" that opened.  Finally they finished, and again Spearhead rocked for about two and a half hours straight.  They played a few older songs, fewer from Yell Fire, and new covers (including a poorly executed Casey Jones).  I didn't notice so much on Friday that Michael had the lyrics in front of him for the other songs, but he had a hard time Friday with the lyrics.  Casey Jones got all goofed up, and Mary and I were both suspicious.  The shows were pretty similar set lists, though a totally different audience and feel.  I certainly didn't mind dancing around to the same awesome tunes. 
 
I was beat when the show was finished, though equally elated.  We walked back to Mary's car and ate pumpkin pie.  I was already starting to feel the awful stuffiness and soreness in my sinuses and throat.  After two late nights in a row, I slept in really late, but still my body felt blah.  I am not sure what I have, but eating six cuties (the little tangerines) and drinking hot tea hasn't really relieved anything.  The ibuprofen helped reduce any temperature I was feeling, and the salt water rinse helped drain my sinuses temporarily.  Now I need to try it again and tuck myself back in.  This is a horrible week to start off sick!  But hopefully, Wednesday at 3 pm, the grant will be finished, turned in, and I will be home in bed!  If I can only keep it together until Wednesday at 3 pm....
 
I gave all my energy to the music...it was so good...I can still hear it...it was so good....<snore>

No comments: