Monday, December 15, 2008

the reason for the season

Yes, there are all sorts of reasons people now find to celebrate Christmas...gift-giving, house decorating, cookie and candy making, etc.  Growing up in a Catholic family, the holiday always comes back to the expecting parents traveling by donkey and becoming a holy family.  Family is what it is all about, and mine is no exception.
 
My mom has consecutively celebrated Christmas with her family in Portland all the years of her life (a good daughter knows not to give away her mother's age).  Last year was the first without Grandpa, but the tradition lives on.  In my thirty-one years, I have spent all my Christmases in Portland with my family (and Mom's side of the family), too.  In fact, not a one of my siblings has missed either.  It is a real treasure to gather and celebrate together.  Granted, none of us are married and have in-laws who fight over us, though a few of us are celebrating with multiple families this year.  So come Christmas my parents will be beaming at the four Ford children sitting around the tree.  I can say for myself what a blessing it is, what a tremendous blessing it is to be so close to my family.  peace -

No comments: