Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fright Night

Growing up on Henderson Street, there was a tradition to make our way up the hill towards Grandma and Grandpa and stop when we go there. Sure, we were excited to ring the doorbell and say trick-or-treat, but the real treat was homemade pumpkin pie and homemade whipped cream. Grandma never disappointed - at least not that I can remember. Now my mom carries on the tradition. Henderson Street is still the place for picture taking and pumpkin pie eating. Knowing Tom would already be gone for his conference, I planned ahead and invited the Salas family to celebrate the pumpkin pie tradition with me. I did cheat and used a pumpkin pie I previously baked and froze, but the whipped cream was freshly whipped with Grandma's hand mixer. The real work was cleaning house. I cleared and cleaned the counter and the table and the chairs. I even had time to vacuum. I got my camera ready, and in lieu of a balloon Tom, I just kept out the picture his grandma gave me. The picture is deceiving, though, because Tom got to sit on the counter next to Andres. Marie called to give me the halfway warning, so I cut pieces and got it all ready. In the midst of it all, I had nine trick or treaters (and a few hungry parents). With all the candy I bought, I was happy to see most of the kids eager to take a few pieces. One was overly eager and tried to wrap his pirate hands around as much booty as could be lifted out at once, plus an extra one for good measure. And one was too timid to take more than one piece. I am sure none will be sugar deprived for awhile. Then two skeletons and witch and a beast appeared. So charming, yes? They enjoyed dinner, I mean pie, with me. I don't think pumpkin pie is meant to be dinner, but I was too distracted with cleaning up the place that it was mine. (I had a pretty good sugar crash later on!) All in all, I think I had more trick or treaters than last year and than any year in Denver. The last piece of pumpkin pie made for a nice breakfast today. Yum!

No comments: