Thursday, November 3, 2011

Noisy (estrepitoso), clamorous, obstreperous

Yes, we are in Ruidoso, NM, and according to an online Spanish dictionary, that's what "ruidoso" means. Thomas left Monday morning for a work conference. With Father's permission I planned to "work remotely" Wednesday - Friday. I would have liked to drive down on Tuesday, but the dark (pitch dark) on a non-lit high way with who know what animals and terrain and curves, etc....you get the idea. Safer to go during the day. So Wednesday morning I awoke to the radio telling me that Raton Pass had zero visibility, but no reports on a delay of school...what?!?! I looked out the window to see snow piling up. I got up in a hurry, checked the internet for a weather report - which suggested that Miami could get up to three inches, and then made a run for it before it could get worse. On the road I realized all the things I forgot in my hurry. I also realized that nobody in Miami knew what I was, and if I landed in a ditch, nobody would notice I hadn't arrived or left or anything. Anyway, I drove slow and prayed the joyful mysteries of the Rosary for friendsfamily battling cancer/leukemia, then the glorious for loved ones gone before us (Wednesday was All Souls Day), and then the sorrowful because it was still snowing. Gratefully, after fifteen decades the snow cleared, which was about Watrous. The snow let up, but the wind did not. I figured I was practicing being brave for a possible drive to Portland at Christmas. Of course, when I turned off the road at Romeroville, not much more than 90 miles from home, the snow blew and the sky was clear blue and sunny, and then it was just clear blue and sunny.
A ridge of windmills to many to count - I counted about fifty before they got to small and the road to curvy...
Me and the mister at the Inn of the Mountain Gods
The lake behind us was so pretty - nice to see so much water anywhere in New Mexico, even if a man-made lake
Tomorrow, Tom's conference ends and we make the long road home...

No comments: