Saturday, May 12, 2012

Major Accomplishment!

Thomas told me that if this morning's work failed, we were filling in the hole and buying a double-wide.  Thank God it didn't fail because I would have a hard time justifying all the work and money we've invested this far.  Today we poured the concrete walls for our basement.  It was a lot of work, and without the help of all our family here, we would still be out there trying to work through the rain and wind.

Pictures are forthcoming on Monday, but for now the story...
We worked a lot of evenings readying the basement walls.  Using ICFs (insulated concrete forms), we built up the walls - 40 x 30 feet with a few windows and a door, 8 feet high.  Pop has been here non-stop helping with rebar and bracing.  He brought over wall penetrations for our water, electricity, and sewage lines and has really been invaluable.  Thomas and I took Friday off, and we all put in a full day securing the top two courses, the window and door bucks, additional bracing, and our brackets for mounting the main floor floor joists.  This morning the finishing touches of vertical bracing for plumb walls were executed just in time for the arrival of concrete.

With scaffolding and bracing, the doorway into the hole is overwrought with obstacles that only got worse, as additional bracing was added, making it a test of thigh and low back muscles.  Add to that a tetanus shot for me on Friday morning and an exhausting day of work Friday - the top course peaked at my shoulder level, so it was more fatiguing putting in some 140+ rebar ties.  And then I had the fun job of putting in some 60 screws in the bracing below the scaffolding, which was touch on my knees.  Throw in some rough weather forecasts - thunderstorms nearly every day for the last week, including yesterday and today.  When the rain started around 2 am, I wasn't sure I would ever fall asleep from worrying about whether we might not be able to pour concrete this morning.  I did fall asleep to wake up around 6 am, and shortly after be plagues with the sound of rain again.  I can't complain because we need the moisture, but I did ask if it is lucky to have rain on a pour day - as in the luck from rain on our wedding day and NM reception.  A sure sign of a good day is rain!  Needless to say, I was tired and anxious for the day.

Truth be told, all went super well.  The vertical bracing was put up; the pumper showed up on time; and the concrete showed up on time.  We got to work!  Thomas maneuvered the hose of concrete; Daniel and David tag-teamed the 80" pencil vibrator - and not without lots of teasing and joking about that.  I was clean-up crew trying to keep clean the top edge where the next course of block fits and being a general go-for-it girl.  I got to hold the vibrators motor for the guys when Andres took a break and was ready for them to use it on my shoulders and neck - so relaxing!  After three courses we did run a little short on one corner, so gratefully Marie ran to Raton to buy some quickrete to finish up the job.  Except for the last corner, we were pretty much in folding chairs with Tecate in hand by 11 am!  What a work crew!  And behind the scenes, Mom and Marie got all the food for the post-pour-party set up.  Tremendous effort by all!  And then the rains came!

I think we will all be feeling it tomorrow.  There is more work to do, but I think we are all deserving of a good rest.  And thanks for the rain, God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that everyone was a little worried. I can only imagine the vortex of tension that was in Miami Friday night. It is exciting to watch your house coming together. We will be ready and willing once it is time for the second pour.

love, Marie and Family