Monday, January 21, 2013

First Visit with Momma

I had the opportunity to attend a conference for work in Albuquerque this past week.  Tom and I were on a funny schedule, as he left Tuesday for a conference in Santa Fe before I left Wednesday.  He got back Thursday, but I just got back Sunday evening.  We were both busy with workshops and the like, but I think I came out ahead on this one.  My mom came out to attend the conference, too, and we filled in the free time with lots of great discussion and conversation.  How lucky for me!

I arrived not long before her flight landed, and then we were off!  We heard some amazing presentations, really just so telling of the passion people have for their work and faith.  We also enjoyed a bunch of great meals - mostly all New Mexican.  As a special splurge, we got tickets to Thursday's showing of Cirque de Soleil's Quidam.  It was quite an adventure getting there in evening traffic on the least direct route, but the show was an even grander adventure of acrobatics and skills.  It made me wish for just a teensy bit more athleticism, flexibility, or strength.  The feats of the performers were remarkable!  Well worth the drive!

Another great splurge was a restaurant on the north side of town that Tom recommended.  I found a coupon for a complimentary side of guac - which nobody in my family would pass up on.  We decided to be smart about the whole thing and split a dinner and a dessert, so we could sample the most.  It turned into quite an ordeal.  We couldn't decide "red or green?", so we were served both the red and green chile, and in a moment of hesitation about which to get, we tried both mild and hot.  Our table was filling up with plates!  As the manager passed by, he stopped to ask how things were, which they were delicious.  But he took away our sopapillas because they were getting cold and sent us out a fresh batch.  I told him we hadn't enjoyed them yet because we hadn't requested the honey yet.  So then that arrived, which I promptly emptied onto the plate when the lid popped off mid squeeze.  Our decision to split dinner to make room for dessert was well worth it, as we savored a biscochito "layer cake" that was amazing.  Also - well worth the drive!

We also made time Sunday morning before Mom's flight to visit the Pueblo Indian Cultural Center (and their restaurant).  It had been recommended by friends from Portland and was well worth it.  The food was delicious, too, as we both enjoyed our first bowls of atole.  The exhibits were really well put together, too, and we were only sorry to miss the dancing in the afternoon. 

All in all - I am a lucky and blessed woman!  What great family I have, and faith, too!

No comments: