Monday, January 21, 2013

Tom's Birthday!

I thought I would have been able to upload pictures while in Albuquerque last week - you know, the hotel listed high speed internet?  Well, it was as slow as dial-up in the evening with all the other guests using it, so the report on Tom's birthday is very belated!

There is a Vigil tradition of balloon people.  On the occasion of a family get-together, absentee family members may be included in the form of a picture on a balloon.  Tom really doesn't expect a fuss for his birthday, and I think would be just content for it to be forgotten.  But I can't ever forget and really would rather go off the other deep end of making too big a fuss, which I know he really, really, really wouldn't like. 

Maya without her glasses

So this year I made a fuss of staging a balloon family birthday.  We arrived at his parents' house with cake.  I had already dropped off drinks, ice cream, and a present.  Sitting around the table were Daniel, Julie, Marie, Dave, Andres, Maya, Sara, and Sofia a la balloons.  We sat with his parents and visited a while, and I then I asked if he just wanted to get the cake and ice cream over with.  We waited a little while longer, and then the rest of the gang arrived.  And the balloons were great entertainment for a while as the kids kicked and chased and bopped balloons, not to mention stuffing them up their shirts.

Sara and Sara

Thomas had requested German chocolate cake in bundt form with coconut frosting.  I used a cake mix and had no problem baking the cake.  He requested bundt specifically because the frosting can be applied on both sides, ensuring frosting and cake in every bite.  The frosting, however, I made from scratch.  It came out more like a custard, and since I omitted the pecans, it might have been missing a little substance, too.  I didn't really have much in my memory for comparison, but it worked.  

I made it easy for him, and still it took more than one breath  "/

No comments: