Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Spring is here!

Spring is surely here, but I'm guessing it will feel like summer very quickly if we don't get much more moisture.  Driving to work this week, I noticed the new calves in the fields with their mamas.  To me it is a sign of spring.  I have also noticed the migration of deer from around the road to the road - the first signs of green are showing up in patches of grass along the highway. And this morning I saw a young bobcat.  It crossed the highway from the north side just west of the lake and stopped in a little hollow in the dirt.  I stopped the car and watched him, and then he turned stumpy tail and moved on further south.  (Of course, I don't know if it is a him or if it is young.)  The rabbits are also out en masse.  I am noticing them out of their warrens more anyway, as well as in the road.  One that didn't make it home was breakfast for a big, big golden eagle.  It is the second time I have interrupted his breakfast, but the previous time was on a blind hill, and we startled each other pretty good.  (Again, not sure if it is a him or a her, but it was a golden eagle and big, big!)

I was just telling my sister on Saturday how overcast days are so rare for us (Saturday was unusually overcast).  It's been so sunny and warm over the past week or so that it was a wee bit shocking to wake up yesterday to cold and clouds.  There wasn't any precipitation, but the clouds stuck around all day.  I guess winter was just asserting that it still had one last day.  Surely there is still a chance of snow for yet another couple months, but it looks like we'll have another drought year.  I just pray that we don't have a terrible fire season.

So spring will mean longer days, more work on the house, etc.  We are really letting the garden go this year.  Time and water seem to be precious commodities that we are not ready to spare in that direction, though we will keep up the garlic.  As the work on the house progresses, it will be all hands on deck, and God willing, we may be able to move in mid-fall.  Plus, there are two babies on the way for our sisters in Portland this summer, and this tia sure hopes to make it back once (or twice if I am lucky) to help out and visit.

Here's to hoping for some spring rains....
And I hope to get some pictures from the windows of the house, as requested, so maybe I can post them soon. 

No comments: