Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Thomas Was Right!

Last weekend we began hanging the tongue and groove pine boards that will be our ceiling throughout the house.  Thomas was right - it was very satisfying to see it go up.  We had hoped to get that far the weekend before, but with all the plumbing, roof vents, and rain, it wasn't meant to be.  We also needed to get the section of secondary insulation over the stairs finished, which I realized really meant I needed to.  Thomas can do so many things that I can't yet, so I knew I needed to "man-up" and get it done.  I got brave last Tuesday and stretched out over the ladder and stapled away.  It was gratifying to see it finished and ready for the wood!

I also put up the secondary insulation over the bathroom and a bit of the edges.  The mud kept me from re-supplying and getting any further.

Saturday, we loaded the back of the truck with the boards and, after a brief foray in the mud, unloaded them into the house.  We brought up the chop saw from the basement, and we were ready.  Suffice it to say, our first attempt wasn't our best.  As we negotiated the nuances of the boards, we assembled thirty-two feet of three rows on the floor and then hung them.  The rest of those rows and the next three went up beautifully.

Sunday we had less time, as I had youth group after mass, but we were able to put up another 6 rows.   It's good to see it get faster, though it is no less taxing on my sore, sore shoulders and arms.  Looks like my upper body will get a good work out over the next several weekends.

 The first twelve rows - they'll look so good with a little lemon oil.

Looking out to the mesa - the ceiling will add so much warmth in the feeling of the room.  So purty!

No comments: