Monday, November 4, 2013

Day of the Dead

What do you bring to a "Day of the Dead" themed potluck?
- one person "chopped up a head" of cabbage and made a tasty coleslaw
- another made chicken mole
- there was a ghost shaped cake and a squash-y quiche
- not sure of the chips/salsa or crock of BBQ ribs were theme-related
- the loaf of charm bread was really fully of curses

I brought two of my grandma's recipes - her baked mac'n'cheese (in the green pot she baked it in - thanks to Uncle Pat for giving it to me) and her mom's pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream.

It was lucky I made it with anything, as I was perpetually stumped by time on Saturday.  Tom and I got a bunch of wiring done for the baseboard heaters.  We mostly did electrical projects on Saturday.  I went in to prepare the mac'n'cheese in stages.  I am not sure what I thought would happen if I left the dry pasta in a pot of cold water for too long, but it turned to mush.  I cooked up another batch with bowties - though not the best shape for mac'n'cheese, it was that our spaghetti.  After throwing it all together and sticking it in the oven, I realized I was an hour ahead of myself - only 4 pm, not 5 pm.  Alas, it was ready, and I didn't have any more noodles to waste.

Sunday, with Pop's help, we were able to get the guest bath drywalled.  It won't be long till we can get plumbing and cabinets, toilet and tub set up.  Yikes - I don't even have colors picked out!

No comments: