Monday, November 25, 2013

Snowing and Blowing

The last several days have been chilly.  We woke up to a fresh blanket of snow on Friday, Sunday, and Monday.  It's much needed moisture, for sure.

Friday I headed into the office only a little bit later than usual.  About a mile from the house, the first traffic popped up in my mirror - a big truck I hoped would be dropping sand or something.  I pulled into a neighbor's drive, so it could pass - not a sanding truck.  I continued on my way and with my prayers.  Driving so slow, I finished my first rosary rather quickly and started on a second.  The road was a combination of thick snow, slush, and frozen slush.  It was icy, and the car wiggled from side to side as the layers of ruts pulled in different direction.  More Hail Mary's and a stronger grip on the steering wheel.  About the halfway point, I saw the next "traffic" behind me.  It was either a neighbor or Daniel - the car too far away for me to differentiate.  I considered pulling over, but headed on given the distance between us still.

Made it past the halfway point, and I was climbing.  I panicked at a short, steep section, fearful that I was going to slow to maintain traction and forward momentum and that the road was too slick to accelerate without losing my traction.  I gassed it just a little, swerved just a bit, and up and over I went.  The car behind me continued to get closer.  I pulled over at the top of the hill, aware that I didn't want a vehicle close behind me through the crazy curves and the upcoming drop.

I took a couple breaths and rolled down my window to the slowing vehicle pulling alongside me.  Daniel asked if I was okay.  Fighting back tears I proclaimed my need for a shot of whiskey.  He laughed and agreed and offered to follow me.  I insisted I would feel more comfortable following, knowing that I would be dropping my speed down the curves.  Having his bumper to keep an eye on kept me focused forward, and I eased my stranglehold on the steering wheel.  Forty minutes of tension left me in front of the office and still poised to breakdown.  I felt it all day.  At the same time, I worried for Thomas who had an even longer (and earlier) drive back and forth to Santa Fe.

Gratefully, the sun did its thing (certainly no help from snow plows), and my drive home Friday was far less stressful and shorter, too.  And Daniel humored me and left work early, so I could follow him back.  Such a generous guy!  Thomas pulled in shortly after I did - thank God!

No comments: