Friday, November 1, 2013

November Is Here!

October ended with fanfare!  We had nine trick-or-treaters last night, including four fantastic kids who brought their parents over for pumpkin pie.  It was a nice way to end the evening, especially after the excessively garlicky mashed potatoes I made for dinner.  We sent away most all the candy we bought, though I still managed to nurse myself through the day on chocolate of one form or another.

This past week has been productive for me, though our energies of late haven't been directed toward the house.  A week ago Thursday we took a day off to hit the stores in Pueblo.  It was a nice day off for us to stock up on 2-foot baseboard heaters for the rooms, some supplies for doing the floor, and some other odds and ends.  It was also a treat to eat out.  Instead of waking up Saturday morning reading to work, we woke up in the middle of the night Friday to a feverish Tom.  I did all I could to keep him comfortable and sleeping and hydrated, but he was feeling pretty puny all weekend.  I managed to get on the roof of the trailer and patch a leak along the chimney, clean out and stock the wood porch, take a long walk, do youth group on Sunday.

Then I took another day of Wednesday to manage our irrigation.  I was pretty pleased with myself (still am) for all I was able to do - walked the ditch a couple times, mudding the spots around our neighbor's where the water was flowing into his ditches; baked a couple pumpkin pies; picked up pumpkins from Pop, cooked and pureed them; filling several quart bags for the freezer; pickled a few beets; whipped up some chili and cornbread; chopped down a couple small pine trees that didn't make it; and some other things.  All in a good days work!

So this weekend we have more ambitious plans, or so I think.  Hopefully we both stay in good health and can get some walls up, some electrical lines laid for the heaters, and maybe even a few more lights on. 

No comments: