Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I Interrupt This Weekend of Work...

Work came to a grinding halt on Saturday around noon.  It sure wasn't what we planned, but I am taking full blame for this one.  After getting a row of tile up in the bathroom (involving using the angle grinder) and doing a little painting, I putzed around waiting for Thomas to finish a project so we could go in for lunch.  I was messing around, chiseling at a small block of wood that wasn't chiseling so well.  Grabbing onto the block with my left hand, I pried at my cuts with the chisel and ... whoops, chisel slipped right into my left hand.

I failed to mention that Thomas just sharpened the chisel very thoroughly Friday night.

It didn't hurt, but the blood spurting out made me curse.  Thomas jumped off the ladder and rushed over to see what I did.  I opened my fist to reveal through the blood that I needed stitches.  Curse, curse, curse.

We arrived in Raton faster than ever - thanks, Love!  When Thomas asked if the blood was soaking through my temporary bandage, I mistook his concern for my well-being with justification for the cop that might pull us over, but we didn't see a single one along the highway.  Gratefully we arrived to a nearly empty parking lot at the emergency room.

The doc confirmed that I hit an artery - no other explanation for all the blood loss.  He sewed me up with seven stitches, but suspected the bleeding might not be over.  Gratefully he was wrong about that, though I'd like to think I get some credit for being careful and not doing anything to stress the stitches.  Thomas intended to banish me from the house, but acquiesced Sunday and let me oil some trim and do a little one handed painting.

Last night I got to unravel the dressing and finally see what it looks like.  It isn't pretty at all, and I'll bet it's going to leave an ugly scar.  But I am thankful I didn't do anything worse.

an un-zooomed, non-gruesome shot 

With regards to the house - everything looks so awesome.  The master bedroom flooring is done and looks so beautiful.  Tom's been hanging trip around the ceiling, which looks amazing.  He finished trimming out, painting, and lacquering the corner/stair windows, which are stunning.  I can't wait to call it home!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Ouch, Tori! You two are amazing. I can't wait to see your finished house!