Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I Need a Hand

Actually, we're about to get a pair of hands in the way of help from my parents in a couple weeks.  In the meantime, I am much more able-bodied than two weeks ago.  After undressing my hand two weeks ago and seeing that mess, Thomas pulled the stitches out for me one week ago.

without the crusty blood, the stitches are kind of pretty
just before Tom snipped them out

When the stitches came out, I was terribly depressed that the pretty blue string didn't miraculously heal everything.  It wasn't so much scabby as it was crusty.  The skin hardened while it was all puckered up, so I still couldn't open my hand up much.

after the stitches came out
it felt like a gaping canyon

Then this weekend I got brave and trimmed off the dead stuff.  The crusty edge remained hard, but the skin started yellowing all around it and getting "loose".  My little sewing scissors - once cleaned - were perfect for trimming back all the dead stuff that just wanted to snag on anything in its way.

a week after the stitches cam out
not too bad...

It still feels tender and lumpy and all that, but it is much easier to look at.  Trimming out the bit right on the ridge of the webbing really allowed me to open up my hand even more.  I'm still protective of it, but it's healing...

No comments: