Friday, July 1, 2011

I said it would...

Today is the first of July. I should have bet money on my prediction because here it is. Raining...
I figured that the rain was holding off for the afternoon showers of the summer time, but I predicted that they were going to wait until the first of July just to spite us - can't have the July rains in June even if we are desperate for moisture.
Given the circumstances of the night, I got to soak up the rain, and my hair is still wet hours later. I went out to weed and water while Thomas and his dad were digging. The clouds were rolling in and rumbling just as the boys called it a day. I hadn't finished because I got distracted pulling weeds. I had just finished filling a bucket to take to the raspberry bush when Tom came running. When I looked up, I knew what he was telling me because I could see the smoke over his shoulder in the hill above the Hamptons' house.
I ran to my car and popped the trunk because I keep my boots, pants, and jacket handy there in case I am called at work. I ran in and put on a layer under my nomex pants and jacket. (My skin is a wee bit sensitive to the nomex.) I pulled up my boots and filled my water bottle, grabbed the radio, and headed off. Thomas and I pulled up to the firehouse shortly after Pop, Randy, and Daniel. Gail was right behind. I grabbed my backpack, helmet, and hood from my locker and was ready to go. Daniel and Thomas sandwiched me in the white truck, and I got to call it in to dispatch that we were heading to the fire.
Gratefully, the Hamptons had someone at the place open up the fence and gate for us to access the hills behind them. Unfortunately, we did not have a scouting hawk to send ahead of us to negotiate the terrain and pick a trail for us. Daniel took good care to get us there safely, though it was a terribly bumpy and bouncy ride. We climbed higher and higher through the scrub and rocks only to find that when we had climbed as high as the fire, there was a ravine between us. We picked our way back down with the red truck fast behind us. Once down we picked a path further east that took us right to and through it. We hopped out and while Thomas got the pump going, I was pulling hose to start squirting out the fire along the perimeter. The grass was fairly short, and there were a lot of rocks. This made for getting the fire out easier, since it had burned itself out pretty well. When the water came, Thomas and I worked as a team shooting water and scouting where to aim next. We were able to squelch any active flames fairly quickly and then set to the task of dowsing the smoldering junipers. We worked that fire over pretty well until we ran out of water. Philmont had already come on the scene, and since their trucks were full, they went to town checking the base of trees to make sure none were waiting to light back up.
We had hoped to get down before it got dark, but it wasn't meant to be. It took a while to pick our path back down in the dark, and ultimately, Daniel and I had a short steep drop that will satisfy my thrill-seeking roller coaster cravings for a little while. The truck was just so much more bouncy without the weight of the water. We filled the truck and then after all the trucks made it down safely, we returned to base.
I am tired! We didn't get home until 10:15 pm, too late for dinner, so I made myself breakfast. Now I think I will sleep!

No comments: