Sunday, July 24, 2011

Potato tells all...

I have some serious catching up to do!  I will start that later...always the procrastinator!

I am really excited for tonight's dinner.  While not a delicacy by any means, I am having a real baked potato for dinner.  I think the last one I had was cold in May and dipped in my mom's ranch dip straight out of her refrigerator.  I don't get touchy and feely about steakhouses, and I am not really sure it was considered a steakhouse, but before Wong's became the go-to extended family restaurant, my grandparents usually gathered us at Country Bill's.  I think I had the fat slice of ham, while many had steak, but dinners came with baked potatoes.  They had the little caddy of condiments: sour cream, bacon bits, and chives.  The potato skins were always just right.  A good memory for sure!

I have never really had the foresight to pull off a real baked potato.  Oh, I've probably made them a couple times, but for a big-deal dinner when I actually had the foresight to turn on the oven early and get them all ready.  Tonight is not so much a big-deal or good planning on my part, as much as it is 1) okay to have the oven on tonight, 2) we have potatoes that should be eaten, and 3) I got home from a bridal shower to find a lot of rain - inside and outside.

I left the windows open when I left because there was a decent breeze and it's been so hot.  I picked up Marie and even commented that I left the windows open and hoped it didn't rain.  But if that is what it takes to get rain out here, then I guess I will deal with the mess.  And now while the potatoes are baking, I have dealt with soaking up the water.  And a little extra heat for evaporation (as if the oven is really going to help in that regard) can't hurt!

Now I can't wait to dig in - ranch dip ready!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although not about potato's, I wanted to say I had an awesome night with you. I guess you can say it was our second concert together!

Marie