Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Phew! Finished!

Monday night - last night - I came home to a grumpy husband.  I had worked 11.5 hours, a full day to be sure.  I was hungry and tired and SO relieved to be home . . . until I found Thomas buried under the taxes.  Neither of us has done much but compile the folder of evidence of our work and charity and duty to report lots of numbers in little boxes.  I found the forms at the library, and that sealed the deal for the next step.  After Tom's first pass through yesterday, we set the pile aside and tried to enjoy what remained of the evening. 

The next step was a second pair of eyes, so I looked it over and put the finishing touches on our federal return.  The jargon of taxes is way too much for me, but I have to say that this year was so much simpler with one W-2 apiece, permanent residency in one state, and no self-employment paperwork to file.  Last year was a beast we turned over to the professionals (or semi-professional).  This year it really was so much simpler.

With the federal out of the way, I took a stab at the state paperwork.  Signatures on the dotted line, stamps affixed to envelopes, and photocopies secure in the filing cabinet, we are officially finished filing our taxes!  When I drop them in the mailbox tomorrow, it'll be like the jingle - plop! plop! oh what a relief it is! 

No comments: