Friday, May 24, 2013

Late Night Visitor

I like to pretend I don't scare easily, but ask Thomas about my hysteria around spiders, and you'll know what really sets me off.

(In the past week alone - after a shower I thought I felt a head hair on my wrist, but it was a little yellow spider; I shook madly, losing it and not stepping on it - unloading the dishwasher I was trying to get a water bottle lid closed without looking, but it wasn't going on, and when I look at it, I see a little yellow spider on the neck of the bottle; I shook madly, losing it and not stepping on it - last night I see a daddy long legs with legs over 2 inches long in the tub, so I go for a long handled something to get it; when I come back, it is nowhere to be found in the bathroom....errrr, those darn spiders make me nervous!)

Last night we say goodnight; I'm headed to bed.  About forty-five minutes later, I hear a knock on the window, then a knock on a different window, and then another, and so on.  I'm wondering who's out there, mentally skipping the axe murderer and assuming it is the cat jumping on the screens.  How she's going from window to window so fast is beyond me.  It's too dark, and I don't see anything or anyone.  Then a flash.  Then more flashes.  Then knocking all over.  Then the house is being pelted, and my ears are roaring.  A big storm moved in - hail, rain, lighting, wind.  It was magnificent.  It was loud!  Then the hail tapered off, leaving behind the luscious sound of rain falling on the roof.  What a wonderful sound!

I really wasn't scared.  I did get a flashlight, just in case, not that I would need one if the power went out in my sleep.  But I was worried we might get toned out if the lightning struck a dry tree.  Thank you, God, for rain!  Next time, you don't have to knock on the window to get my attention.

No comments: