Monday, May 6, 2013

No Moping for Me! Pt II

Saturday morning I awoke with the sun coming in the window.  I had a little extra time to visit with Betty before heading out for family brunch.  The girls always play hostess when I am in town, but this time I came prepared to help out.  I brought some green chiles and made a green chile and cheese egg bake that turned out perfect!  I also had a loaf of pumpkin bread to contribute.  There were more eggs and french toast and fruit salad and Oren's beer and great, great company!

The weather was in our favor to lounge around Jennifer's yard filling our plates over and over again: Niffer, her parents Kathy-Davis, Andrea-Shaun-Mackenzie, Mary, Sarah-Lauren, Ahna-Oren-Ezra-Elia, and me!

Elia was in a great mood and happily bounced from lap to lap as we fought for our turns.

These two looked wistfully after the ice cream truck that stopped and moved on without any parents giving in.

How quickly they forgot their woes!

We lazed around as long as possible, but it was time to push on.  I ran a couple errands on my way back across town to meet Minerva and Isabella.  Minerva's mom joined us, too, for a visit to the City Park playground and a walk around the lake.  What a beautiful trio of ladies!  I especially enjoyed Isabella's distracted attempts to walk the ledge along the path - she's so full of energy and joy, it was hard to focus on one foot in front of the other.  It wasn't so long ago Minerva and I were walking around that lake in the Colfax half-marathon.

How I see her momma's joy in that smile!

Happy to be together!

Saturday evening was just for Betty and I.  We were spoiled by a generous dinner at the Wynkoop Brewery by her son-in-law.  After a quick trip to Sam's Club, we walked down to dinner and amused ourselves with the drunken buffoonery of the Derby, Cinco de Mayo, and Rockies crowds.  There were big sun hats and sombreros all over the place, and more than a few ill-looking people.  On our walk home, a young man wrapped his arms around our shoulders and told Betty she looked marvelous.  Not sure why she thought I knew him, but all the same she rolled her eyes, and we pressed on.  We watched a movie when we got back and then crashed.

Sunday morning, I woke up earlier than my body wanted.  Mass was at 7:30 am by an old friend, Fr. Tom, and with the company of friends Nikki, Russ, and their son Henry.  After church we had french toast and my last loaf of pumpkin bread, which Henry is a big fan of like my nephew Ollie.  After breakfast Henry showed off his bike riding skills until the sound of the lawn mower ended it all.  He's a big fan of helping Dad with the mowing. 

Notice the ear muffs - this guy couldn't wait to do his part.

What a team - blowing the clippings is a two-man job.

How quickly the weekend slipped away!  So many friends and such good times...but home beckoned.  I hit the road and after a couple last grocery stops, arrived home about 5:15 pm.  I surprised Tom with some crab legs and artichokes for a special dinner.  It was good to be home.  I could have just hugged Tom for the rest of the evening.  Home again, home again, jiggety jog!

No comments: