Sunday, March 23, 2008

A green Easter after all

So there was snow this morning, but it didn't stay since the sun was out all day. A deceptive sunshine...it was still cold. By the temperature of my room, I can tell it's back down to freezing tonight. Easter was really this early, most all agree. There are shoots in the garden beds for what will be irises and tulips and daffodils...later. No flowers perking up in our yard to signify it is Easter, like usual. My big snafu for the day was being off half an hour for the church service time. Walking in at ten o'clock, I was surprised to see an empty church. There were so many people milling around, but nobody sitting down. Betty filled me in. How silly! This also meant we wouldn't be home to pull things out of the oven, brunch would be a lot later, and Ahna would be right on time coming from Castle Rock. Good grief! Brunch was delicious. Mary made an egg-bake, I made mashed potato casserole. Hafner's sister and mom made dessert pizza. Gabe and Char brought sweet bread and fruit salad. Erik brought Easter eggs we colored at his house on Wednesday. Belinda brought bread. And Ahna made green bean casserole. What a fancy brunch...though I realized in talking with my family that we always did dinner growing up, not brunch. So I borrowed our Christmas brunch tradition of orange juiliuses and hit the store on my way home from mass to make them for our guests. What fun! I was surprised there were leftover mashed potatoes, but I think in general we all did a great job portioning. There were leftovers of nearly everything, until I went down to the kitchen for dinner. Everyone else got to it first. Today was pretty low-key: paper reading, picking up my room, watering plants, a game with Mary, and a phone call with my little brother. I am ready to retire for the evening. Peace and grace!

No comments: