Monday, February 14, 2011

Nostalgia that didn't rise to the occasion

Who wouldn't love that face?!?!
That is the heart focaccia of last night's dinner...and my sweet baboo! Tonight I didn't beat Thomas home by much, and as he hadn't called to say when he was leaving, I was hesitant to know what to fix for dinner. He would likely be hungry, but he could show up in one minute or fifty....what's a good wife to do? I had picked up some mozz for making pizza. I planned to make some pizza dough and make a deep dish pizza circa July 14, 2008. I would improvise with green chiles in place of the jalapenos, and maybe no Guinness. Thomas and I had our first date on my porch, but a couple of nights later he took me out for pizza at Wyman's (our first date out) before he took me grocery shopping. As luck would have it, the yeast was just proofing as Thomas pulled up. I hurried through making the dough and setting it to rise, but it never really did. Actually, there is no "really" about it. It flat our looked like the lump of dough I put in the bowl when I uncovered it forty minutes later. It was like rolling out cold modeling clay, so I skipped the deep dish notion. He wanted pepperoni on his side, so mine was extra green chile and pineapple-y. I slid it into the oven and hoped it would be okay. And it was! And now we are still full. And even though I asked Tom to bring home dulce de leche ice cream, neither of us have any room. Guess I will have to work on that pizza dough recipe...And maybe ice cream for breakfast? (just kidding - I would never do that...got to keep up my healthy reputation...)

No comments: