Tuesday, March 25, 2008

happy healthy clean

I took the coolest class tonight at Moondance Botanicals - an herby, essential oil, natural products type shop: natural cleaners! Boy, who ever used critical thinking under the sink before...not me! So commercial cleaners are too toxic to dump down the sink, have to be picked up by haz mat from the city waste department even, but we still use them all over our house. I never thought about these things before, though I have been steadily shifting over to natural products. And the companies don't have strict labeling laws, so who really knows what ill-effects can come from the comet or the bleach or the pinesol. So I learned some really easy, basic recipes. We made an all purpose cleaner and a powdered abrasive cleaner. Both smell great with essential oils - no chemical or synthetic fragrance. Ask me about the recipes, and I will be happy to share. Vinegar and baking soda are common ingredients, things we often have in the house for other reasons. It isn't easy to come up with some good smells, either, with lavender or sweet orange, lemon or thyme. Relaxing, balancing, energizing - not usually words I associated with cleaning, but I am a fan now! Think I might go clean the tub and take a soak...or maybe tomorrow. Cleaning is still cleaning.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Definitely, you should share your recipes, Tori. Of course, I have my own, but I like to keep information to myself. :)

Why do you propose for cleaning the toilet?

Amy said...

WHAT, not why, do you propose for cleaning the toilet?

Brat.