Sunday, March 2, 2008

snowy day blues

This is not a complaint...more of a lamentation with an understanding that weather changes. Some say it is a sure sign of global warming wreaking havoc on our weather patterns. I say it is a sure sign I was supposed to sleep in and spend all day on the phone. Yesterday was a gorgeous Saturday - a beautiful reminder of what is to come. Gorgeous was reading the paper on the front porch in sunshine. Gorgeous was an afternoon in the park, upwards of mid-seventies. My hairy legs sticking out of my shorts may not have been gorgeous, but I did wear shorts and a tank top, a first since South America. Well, I didn't pack shorts down there, but you get the point. Mary and I spread a sheet and then a blanket on top to add an extra layer between us and the blanket of (canadian) goose poop all over City Park. We read and talked and just basked in the sun. (I covered myself in sunblock, not to worry.) Erik and his dog Bapu stopped by for a visit. The weather beckoned many to the park and gave me the urge to garden, though I knew what the weather had in store. When hunger came, I got a call from Johnson, who is back from Belize, and we got to have lunch - a first in two and a half months. All sorts of delightful activity! Today was supposed to be a ski day. I was looking forward to bombing down the mountain and hanging out with Nikki. The fates would not allow it. With blowing snow and a drop of over forty degrees in town, the mountains were also getting blowing snow, but the temperature was (is) in the teens and felt like FOUR DEGREES!!! Really...I am trying to limit my chances of frostbiting my toes over and over. My big toe is still peeling...hopefully not an excuse I will have to keep using. Tuesday I get another chance to make it up there, so I hope it warms up a smidge by then. All in all, I still got to listen to Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk. I talked with my dad, my grandma, Pat-Amy-Maddie & Grandbob, my sister's boyfriend, and my ski buddy. The TV room is nice a toasty now with the door closed, so I'm thinking I could maybe change back into my shorts and tank top (except my room is in the forties or fifties). Hope it is sunny where you are!

No comments: