Monday, March 16, 2009

From start to finish...

I have had a bad case of the Mondays!
 
I am not sure if I would have consulted my calendar, that my day would have gone more smoothly, and that I would be in bed by now!  I knew I had to be at work pronto this morning!  I drove, despite the beuatiful forecast, because today was the beginning of three days of packing seed packets for distribution to over 2,000 households of DUG's Seeds & Transplant Program.  Laura manages it beautifully and had arranged for a number of us on staff to pitch in with getting the boxes of seeds sent over to the center for packing.
 
I pulled in right at 8 am, hoping I hadn't already missed her.  She said her goal was to be there at 7:30 am, but that was indeed early for a Monday.  I had missed her, but Michael was finishing loading his truck.  I got all but one of the boxes left in my little coupe, and while we were about to repack the box into a bag that would fit, Laura's intern came in and offered to take all of them for me.  I graciously refused since (1) I didn't want to have to unload them all and carry them around to the other side of the building to the street and (2) I figured I would drop my car off at home on the way back and bike to work.  I had tossed my bag at my desk and raced off.
 
Halfway there I realized I hadn't written down the address, though I remembered the cross streets.  I didn't have my phone or calendar (where it was written down).  There was no "rec center" where I thought I was supposed to go, so I pulled over a couple blocks away and asked a kind old man if he knew where the East Montclair Community Rec Center was.  It turns out he was a member at the Montclair Rec Center and went inside to check on his rec card to see if it listed the address.  As it did not, he gave me directions, then followed me there to make sure I got there.  Really a very sweet old man!  Very generous of his time to help a damsel in distress as myself!  I was terribly confused because the center was about a mile SE of where I thought I was going.  There was a less helpful but equally sweet old man at the desk who insisted on finding where I was supposed to drop the seeds by loudly telling everyone else in the building what I was supposed to be doing, though it was becoming quite obvious to everyone else that I was in the wrong place! 
 
A quick call to the office confirmed that I was right on the money for my original cross streets, but it was a mix up of the East Montclair Community Center and the Montclair Rec Center that hindered my direction getting.  Alas! 
 
Having dropped off the car, I sped off on my bike back to the office, only to realize I'd forgotten my helmet - oops!  And then once at the office, I realized I had other meetings that would have been easier by car - until they ended up being canceled.  I would have known if I opened my calendar, at which point I would have been reminded that I was working till 9 pm tonight, attending a class.  Luckily, I had leftovers from last week in the fridge at work and had time to come home and get dinner before the class.  And then tonight while brushing my teeth and getting ready for my shower, I realized I didn't send Laura my LiveWell update for the next newspaper - she'll have my hide, except maybe she didn't notice yet!  I should be asleep.  I will be soon, and then I can wake up fresh tomorrow and get the day right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes!

No calendar, no phone, no GPS navigational device, no laptop, no car (in the afternoon), no helmet.....I feel like I was reading a story from the late 70's. :-)