Sunday, March 8, 2009

dish duty

It is super exciting~
 
SAME Cafe (soallmayeat.org) is this delicious cafe where you pay what you want for your meal.  Brad and Libby source as much of their food organically and/or locally and serve up soup, salad, and pizza.  There is usually a couple choices of each, with at least one being vegetarian.  I think I have written before about how I like going there after church on Saturday - good food, good company because Mary works that shift, and always a good time. 
 
Last night Tom came with me after church to get some dinner.  I had eaten their food for lunch (brought in for a DUG training I had all day) and was excited to see what was still on the menu and what had changed.  The place was packed!  They were recently the cover story of Westword magazing (www.westword.com), so I am sure the word was reaching new folks.  I didn't see any of the usuals, but there was a line!  Tom and I found a seat close to the counters, and I helped serve up cookies and refresh the tea.  Tom tried to troubleshoot the ice/water machine that wouldn't work.  As the crowd died down, we got some grub and conversation with Mary.  But it picked right back up again.  The dishwasher finished volunteering, so I stepped in to help.  Tom, too!  We washed dishes for an hour, and I'll admit my back started aching a bit.  But we had fun - teasing and talking with the other volunteers.  It was such a rewarding night.  And I was pooped!  Ready for a nap after work and before church, I came home and slept like a baby!
 
If you see this in time, or can figure out how to search for it on line, NBC national news will air a piece on SAME Cafe on Monday, March 10th - 5:30pm MST.  best!

No comments: