Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hot chiles!

Friday on my way home from work, I stopped at the grocery store to buy green chiles. Yes, the grocery store. In Denver we went to a stand on the side of the road, though you could also get them at the farmers' markets. Here in this beautiful country you can get your chiles roasted while you shop! I picked up two whole bags of roasted hot green chiles, and Thomas and I proceeded to peel, peel, peel. Many people will just bag them and freeze them, but Thomas and I don gloves and slip the skins off the chiles while they are still warm. It means that when we pull them out of the freezer, they are ready to eat. Friday we peeled chiles to Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. We got one and a half bags done before Daniel and Julie came over to hang out. (We did take a dinner break after the first bag...quesadillas with fresh green chiles!) Yesterday when we got home from gathering firewood, Thomas went to bed about 3 pm in preparation for his midnight shift. I put in Thelma and Louise and peeled the rest of them. When Thomas woke up about 8:00 pm, we had pizza with green chiles (and pineapple) for dinner. Twenty one bags in all...I think we'll make it till next year!

No comments: