Monday, September 20, 2010

Yummy dinner...

I guess I am not feeling too humble tonight because I just finished a really great dinner with my husband...and I cooked.

Thomas picked up some avocados when he went up to Raton/Trinidad today.  There were some other things on my list, but avocados make a cheese sandwich extra special.  And you know, these days I am packing a lunch and eating three dinners alone....the kind of times one eats a lot of cheese sandwiches.

Anyhow, they looked so good, and I remembered when I was in South America that sometimes as an appetizer I would be served these delicious avocado salads, just chopped up with tomatoes and onions and dressing.  So I looked around at supplies on hand and made this (sorry, no pictures; we were hungry!): a spicy, tangy avocado and crab salad. 

Served over a bed of lettuce topped with bow tie pasta topped with chopped tomatoes, red bell peppers, and red onions: chunk crab and diced avocado in a dressing of grapefruit juice, lime juice, red chile powder, pureed ginger, garlic salt and pepper, and mayo. 

I didn't actually get it spicy enough, but maybe the mayo cut the spice.  I could have used oil with the citrus juice, but thought the mayo would blend better for better consistency and coverage.  Oh, and Thomas got just the best avocados, ripe but not mushy and the skins peeled right off!



No comments: