Friday, October 28, 2011

A Bird in the Flue is Worth What?

Yesterday morning I guess I made a mistake. I rekindled the fire from Wednesday night before I got myself together and out the door. Given the hurried departures of Thomas and I in the morning, it probably isn't really necessary, or rather, it probably doesn't benefit us much in the morning. Now if I was the good wife that got up before dawn to stoke the fire, make eggs and bacon, and pack my husband's lunch, well then maybe it might be worth it. So I stoked up a little fire briefly and was, not long after, on my way to work.
No there wasn't a fire. Rather, Thomas and I arrived home to immediately take care of a few things outside. Upon entering the house, Thomas was aware that we weren't alone. There was noise coming from the living room. Not the witching hour or day, we suspected it was from the land of the living. There inside the wood stove was a very sooty bird. The poor bird was likely lured by the heat of the chimney on a chilly day and found it's way under the chimney cap and fell down the chimney. I would guess that it was too tight a space to fly straight up a narrow chimney.
We grabbed a garbage bag and surrounded the door. Thomas got it open, but thought it was too sooty to fly. I tried to use the little shovel for ashes to move it towards the bag, but all things considered, we didn't want to create an opening for it to fly out of the stove and into the house. Thomas finally reached with the bag into the stove and pulled it into the bag. We took the bag outside and waited a moment. Then -POOF- the bag was opened, and the poor little meadowlark flew up and made a big arc to the SW and then slowly back around to a big tree by the horse barn. You could see the lovely color under its wings once taken to flight. We laughed about what that poor bird was going to tell the wife sitting on the nest - really, honestly, I was stuck in a stove - I wasn't messing around!

No comments: