Monday, December 17, 2007

A bad ending to my first full day back in the USA

I'm not big on unpacking or putting things away, so my backpacks of gear and dirty clothes and gifts made it to the futon in my room and not much further. Last night I moved my bed closer to the door, further away from the cold windows. Erik helped me swap the futon and bed around and shove my bags even further from my sight. I did have to pull a few things out today, but I was excited to have other things to do, like a rolfing appointment with Cathy in the evening. It took me twenty minutes to get on Hwy 6 from the house! Alarming! Granted, I haven't driven in months, and the driving in South America is more of a weave, less linear. Though I didn't drive down there, it affected me as I tried to get to Golden in forty minutes, generally plenty of time. I did make it and had a great reunion, as well as some great work on the kinks of my body. Happy to see Cathy, I was just as happy to go because I had a dinner date with Nikki at her house. We gabbed for hours, could have gone much longer, but a Monday night for her meant an early rise in the morning, so I mosied on home. Mary called wondering if she should worry that I wasn't home. Nah! I was on my way and promised to come say good night when I got home. That thirty minute drive took an hour and a half. Waiting at the red light before Colfax on Park Avenue West, a car smashed into me from behind. I was stunned, I was rolling forward, I couldn't see anything, I was screaming, and then I realized the sound, the movement, the darkness...I'd been rear-ended. I didn't see him coming. The rear-view mirror was askew and failing to reflect light. My foot slipped off the break; the car absorbing the impact and rolling forward. I braked, adjusted the mirror, and recognized that I was okay. The other vehicle was no longer behind me. As he passed me on the right, I started calling out his license plate number over and over, committing it to memory until I could tell someone. The car headed into an alley. I didn't know what to do. My phone had flown into the back of the car, and I needed to call the police. And I needed to call Mary to say not to worry, I wouldn't be home yet. A mile from home...I was so close. I rounded onto Colfax to see if I could catch the vehicle exiting the alley, but there was no one there. I called the police, passed on information, calmed myself down. I filed a claim with my insurance. My low back stung, my head was swirling. I managed to get out of the car, relieved that all my muscles knew what to do. The damage didn't look crippling, and the car was still drivable. I went home, slid in next to our landlord's house in the alley, and made my way for some ibuprofen. First full day here. Ending the day in a daze.

No comments: