Friday, December 7, 2007

Part II

I woke up this morning, and I remembered my dreams. Grandma was picking something off my face like a monkey, but with tweezers, and then I had a vision of myself with these gnarly eyebrows that needed plucking. Not so warm and fuzzy. My feet were really quite swollen from sitting so long, so I made a point to make more trips to the bathroom and walk around. The snack pack got passed around again, and I passed. My apple and oatmeal cookies seemed healthier. There were music videos and an Argentine movie today, so I was less entertained. This was a good thing, I hope, because I studied some Spanish instead. I made faces at the little girl some more and slept a little, too. Gratefully, the morning seemed to fly by a little faster. It took me forever, once in Cordoba, to find where I could check my backpack. Once liberated from its weight, I walked towards the center to do some shopping and walking. I contemplated seeing a movie, since I knew where the cineplex is, but I guessed I might get some on my next flights. No helado. A first. I had a lovely conversation with the taxi driver on the way to the airport. He thought I was from Alemania, but no. I didn’t think we would ever get to the airport, convinced he was taking the extra long route for the big fare, but we made it, and I had enough time to rearrange my bags – can’t carry my knife on the plane or the beer! I cleaned up a little in the bathroom. I have been homeless for a while – in total two days and nights. The Andes looked a whole lot different on my way to Santiago (layover). I kept waiting for the massive mountains of snow, but there isn’t so much snow six weeks later. Hard to believe so much could melt in six weeks! Wow!! Once again, they didn't have a veggie meal for me, which upset me because I was hungry. Instead I had a couple glasses of wine. I watched "No Reservations" and "Gracie" (great soccer movie that made me think of Claire!) along with a little sleep. I couldn't really sleep because I was excited to be seeing Erik soon. Once in Lima I was familiar with the cusotms routine and re-checked my bags. I debated about making a trip to the bathroom or the snack line. I made neither before I heard that Erik's flight landed. It may have been the longest hour I can remember. Waiting and waiting...the people ahead of me got upset with the other people who kept standing in front of them and the cord behind which we were supposed to wait for arrivals. Typically in foreign airports, people cannot come into the baggage area and have to wait in the front hall. Everyone in Lima was there Friday night. One woman, who seemed to be newly engaged, had at least twenty people come out to greet her. After we got Erik checked in to his morning flight, we made our way to the waiting area. He had goodies for me: a song to listen to, apples, sesame sticks, wasabi peas, and trail mix! What a delight! Plus he found a great travel cribbage set, which we didn't actually pull out. It was tough to sleep in those chairs, but I was tired and happy. On to Cuzco...tori

No comments: