Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My last day in El Bolson

I am so forgetful when I sit in front of the computer.  I tell myself throughout the day all the things I want to share, and then after I post, I remember all the things I forgot.  For example, I really wanted to share that yesterday I received a very nice compliment from the man at the bus station.  He said, and is the first Argentinean to say, I speak Spanish very well.  I have had foreigners laugh at my Spanish, and Luis and the man from the kiosko both said described me as the girl who doesn´t speak well.  So this was really nice.  And Barry witnessed it and made a big deal of it.  I was quite flattered.  In reality the other travellers who speak less than I think my Spanish is fabulous.  And I have picked up four rides hitchhiking now and had no problem speaking with the driver.  (I really love hitchhiking...two times a day for the last three days.)  Anyhow, this I forgot to mention yesterday, that I have been complimented.
 
Today Barry took off for El Bolson, and the last of the Irish, too.  The place was clearing out until at least half a dozen arrived today, too.  I was looking forward to a laid back day, especially hoping to visit the lake.  I am really quite keen on the lake, so I thought I Would go again.  I also wanted to see the hidden waterfalls on this end of town.  The trail was pretty close to the hostel, so I thought I could start with it and catch a bus to the lake after.  Things change, such is life.  The cascada escondido were amazing!!  The trail to them has officially initiated me into rock climbing, and a few times I thought I might just fall off the edge.  Barry would have hated it because he doesn´t do heights.  I bet Angela would have loved it.  Anyway, I went by myself and took lots of pictures.  A couple German girls caught up to me, and we hiked together for a while.  They had a map, but went the wrong way anyway.  I followed them and felt very useful getting them back on the right track.  My toe, darn it, split open yesterday after a kid stepped on my foot on the bus back from the lake (just my luck that a day of hiking would be safe and the bus would not be).  It was a bit tender for the trail, but I wore my boots to keep it clean.  I had a delicious avacado and cheese sandwich and watched the waterfall.  I read a little, and not too long after Alana, another chica from the hostel, arrived from a different trail.  We had a great conversation about Australia and life and work and plants on the hike back down together.  We took the road in hopes of a ride.  The third time was the charm, and I felt elated to hitchhike again.  I sat next to an old man in the back seat, his son was driving, and he asked me all sorts of questions and wanted a picture with us.  He was so cute.  They stopped to pick lupines when they picked us up, so we talked about the flowers and the city and all the mountains.  Sweet!  They dropped us off in the center, so we could get ice cream and groceries before returning to the hostel.  I had lemon pie and mascarpone with raspberries.  Delicious!  Tomorrow will be my last one.  Alana and I split ways, and I ended up having a half hour conversation with an Argentinean man.  We talked about the mountains and small town life and how beautiful El Bolson is.  I am so content here, and if there was nothing to return for, I could see myself settling down.  As it stands, I am returning because I do have much to return for.  Marcel and I talked about how he looked a long time for a place to be, and he fell in love with El Bolson.  He has been running the hostel for three years, and his friend Julian joined him a year ago.  The owner retired, so they rent it from her and run it with other friends.  It makes me so happy, and I think I want to do the same thing somewhere like this.  Just the idea of the day.  Carbondale, anyone?  Any friends that want to open a hostel with me? 
 
I need to go pack up my bags.  I didn´t really unpack, except for my dirty clothes.  Tomorrow I catch a bus at 11:45 am from El Bolson and arrive in Cordoba on Friday at 12:15 pm.  Wish me luck!  That´s a long day and night on a bus.  Hope for me that I get good movies!  And good food!  It won´t be long...tori


Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

No comments: